Tuesday, September 23, 2008

How I studied for the LEED exam

Now that I've passed the LEED AP exam, I'd like to share with you my study curriculum in the hope it will help you pass yours.

Obviously I read the USGBC book, concentrating first on the highlighted pages. I underlined what seemed to be the most important key items or words. I used the flashcards from Professional Publications, Inc at http://www.ppl2pass.com/. I carried them everywhere I went and reviewing constantly.
I went to the back of the book and read the glossary of terms. Anything that was new to me or that I did not have a depth of knowledge in, I went to the Internet (thank God for Google) and checked it out.

A few weeks ago I subscribed to an online test from Green Building Education Services at https://www.greenexamprep.com/index.html . Wayne Whitzell and I discovered it about the same time. It is the best $50 you will spend in preparation for the exam! On the practice test, under "test setting" I chose from the dropdown menu to give the results "after every question". The explanations were great and when I missed a question it forced me to go the Reference Guide and review that answer. I took the various tests multiple times. The system scrambles the questions each time you take the exam. Two weeks before the test, every evening that I could, I did one of the four tests. It made me exceptionally prepared for the exam.

I purchased from the USGBC Colorado Chapter their "LEED Professional Study Guide and Practice Exam". It is concentrated more on NC, but it does have a good outline along with a small practice test for EB. In the middle of the book is a table covering all the credits/prerequisites and it was very helpful. The page called "Acronyms and Abbreviations" has an important synopsis. On the test, you have to know what is covered in the standards for ASHRAE 90.1, 52.2, 55, 62 and ASTM E408 , E903.

I also compiled a study spreadsheet for myself which I will make available to anyone who wants it. It is vital that you know the percentages for the various credits. So I put them on the spreadsheet along with an abbreviated requirement cell. It prints out on 8.5x14 paper. It is not all inclusive but if you have read the materials, it is a concentrated study help like the flashcards but with more information. If you want the file, email me at cesgro@comcast.net

When I took the exam, I noticed that there were a couple of questions that I had not seen in any of the materials that I had studied. I contacted the USGBC and they replied in an email that there was an "erratum for the Reference Guide" that corrected errors and omissions in the Reference Guide book. I went online but haven't yet found it. Whichever LEED exam you are taking, it may be a good idea to check if there is an errata for that Reference Guide.

I hope this helps.

Charles Esgro LEED AP (I like how this looks)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How long did it take for you to prpare for the exam